Preparing an IP portfolio for due diligence
1 Juni 2018
International Law Office (ILO) has published an article on IP Portfolio Management by Zacco’s Senior Partner Tom Ekeberg from the office in Oslo, Norway.
In the article, he shows “how to prepare for IP due diligence to ensure that a company can get the most out of its IP portfolio in a favourable deal. While the focus is on patents, the general principles apply to trademarks, industrial designs and even unregistered rights like copyright and trade secrets.
Why due diligence?
When an investor performs due diligence the intention is to obtain some kind of assessment of the value of the object he or she is about to invest in and determine risk. While risk is not necessarily bad and investors are not interested in eliminating risk, higher risk can be justified only by a higher expected return on investment or by some form of risk mitigation. Higher risk for an object with a certain expected return means lower price, and risk mitigation typically means a deal structure that is unfavourable to the seller or recipient of the investment (eg, in the form of payment being partly contingent on certain future events). Anything discovered during due diligence research that deviates from the presentations made by the seller and the buyer will be presented in the due diligence report as factors that will affect the expected return on investment or risk, and that may ultimately change the value and structure of the deal. […] ”
You can access the full article here on the ILO website.
If you are looking for advice on how to manage your Intellectual Property porfolio, you are welcome to contact Senior Partner and Team Manager Tom Ekeberg directly or get in touch with a Zacco office close to you.Back to all news
- Camilla Rendal Nielsen named as one of the Top 250 Women in IP for 202124 Juni 2022
- Zacco shortlisted for 10 awards in the Managing IP EMEA Awards 202228 April 2022
- Zacco partners with Atal Incubation Centre, Manipal University Jaipur to foster innovation25 April 2022
- Zacco’s Stockholm office has moved to new premises22 April 2022
- Patent Nord Innovation Award given to PanPac Engineering21 April 2022
- Zacco feat. Morten Jessel, new Attorney-at-law20 April 2022
- Zacco moves to our new office in the centre of Malmö4 April 2022
- Tier One for Trademark Prosecution for Zacco Denmark, Sweden and Norway22 März 2022
- Launch of the .AU domain for Australia10 März 2022
- Zacco helps those affected by the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine9 März 2022